Wednesday, December 12. 2012
You can find last year's question batch here.
In order to make Shelby's and Cassie's jobs easier, please post your question as a comment in this thread. Please include your first name, last name, and period number.
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)
- Would you recommend staying at a college that's a distance away from home (say, an out-of-state or out of county) or one that is "very" close (within Southern California)?
Jonathan Lee, 2
- If given the chance to switch schools (to a similar one, like a CSU to a different CSU) at this very moment, would you? What would be the reasons for your switch? What do you think are the advantages of staying at **that** school?
Jonathan Lee, 2
(Sorry if I start making a bunch of one-question posts in the form of reply after reply!)
Okay, well i have 2 questions dieing to be answered.
1) how do you get a girlfriend in college?
On a more serious note,
2) what is the BEST college experience so far?
What is the best way to handle saying goodbye to friends and family?
Would you suggest rooming with someone you know or a stranger?
Is it hard to adapt to living with someone in a small space?
Lauren Kime, Period 4
How are the classes you are taking different from the ones you've taken before here at the high school? (besides the fact that a lot of classroom settings are different, in more of edcaution level like certain classes are easier than high classes or vice versa.)
What have you enjoyed most so far during your first year of college?
What are some advices that you* can give for instance, things to do, not to do, stay away from, get as close as possible, things like that?
*I'm asking towards anyone who wants to answer.
SFHP - Period 4
12 December 2012
Shirleen Cheng P.2
How long do you study everyday?
How do you deal with homesickness?
Does college make you miss high school or are you glad you're where you are now?
How much time do you have to do your extracurriculars, volunteering, and hobbies?
Is it really better to have a car or is it more of a hassle to own one if you live on campus?
If you attend school in a colder (snowy) area, was it difficult for you to adjust to the weather? Do you get ill easily (from stress, not taking care of your health, etc)
Were you overwhelmed with how things are so much different in collage then High school?
What was your Favorite part of your first day of collage?
Was it hard for you to make new friends?
How much is the work load different from high school?
Did you miss your parents?
How often do you see your friends from high school?
How competitive are the internships near your college?
What type of schedules (e.g. balanced across all days, freeing up one day, etc.) would you encourage/avoid?
For those of you that took AP courses in high school, how much have they sped up your progression to take upper division courses?
How helpful have your RA's been?
Matthew Lam, Period 4
Joji Matsubara Period 2
If you do have a job or an internship, would you recommend taking a job or an internship while you are in collage?
Would you rather live in a dorm, apartment, or at home and why? What are the benefits and disadvantages of living at a dorm, apartment, or at home?
Do you still make time for your old friends and your new collage friends? Have you ever tried introducing them to each other?
If you live with roommates,how do you get along? What do you think is the best way to determine roommates? By their similarities? Differences? Personality?
When you study, where do you go and why?
How did you adjust living at a dorm? Was it hard or easy? What did you have to do to feel more comfortable?
Simon Xu, P5
First I want to say that I and sure I will go Double E major, plus Aerospace Engineering as alternative major.
+I heard of that college are more likely a process of independent study, especially for majoring in hard subject.
what do people usually do in college? study harder stuff? or play with friends? or else?
+what are those professer usually do, are they really busy and don't have much time to deal with you?
+do you more likely feel free in college, or nervous about the future.
+do we have the chance, or have time to self-study guiter or piano during the college?
Jonathan Lai , Period 2
If we need to go to a nearby facility, is it easy to get a ride? Or is it better if we bring our own car?
Is college what you expected it to be during your senior year of high school?
1. For those who intend to carry out scientific research for a career, how did you (if you did) go about getting a research position, regardless of how minor it is, during these past four months? Is it even possible?
2. What must we set up / prepare for in the first four months of college? Is it necessary/feasible to begin preparing for grad school (as in are there certain things that must be set into motion asap)?
3. Assuming you are on a meal plan, how many of the meals do you actually eat each week?
4. For students of the UC system, that took AP Biology, Chemistry, and/or Calculus BC and used their AP score to skip a class, is what you picked up during those AP classes sufficient to get you started in those next-level classes? Do people actually use those scores or do most people retake the college-version of the course?
5. For those attending schools where it snows (and preferably never lived somewhere where it snowed), how difficult is it to adjust to the weather? What did you do to do it?
6. What is the most useful and convenient mode of transportation to get around campus?
7. How does class selection work at your school? Is priority given only to upperclassmen or are there ways for underclassmen to be prioritized as well?
8. What are some essential items we should bring with us to college? Are there any ordinary items (i.e. a rice cooker) that are banned in dorms?
Is it necessary to join sorority or fraternity?
What's your dorm life like?
What's your professor like? Are they Easy to connect with or are they aloof?
What's your schedule like? Is it better to put all your class close together or spread?
What's the most difficult assignment you have done in this class?
What's your workload? Less than or more than senior year?
Any tips of looking for a part-time job or internship?
About how much you spend in a month if you live on campus?
What are something we have to say to your family and friends when you leave?
For the finals, is it mostly self-study? Also, how often do you need to take notes in class or you can just read the text book?
Any tips of getting cheap textbooks?
Katie Qiu, Pr.4
For east cost college people:
What are some stuff that are mandatory to bring since I am going to move across the country?
What is the living expense like in the east coast?
If you didn't get any scholarship, and only have half of the tuition covered from Financial Aid, is there any other way to pay for your college besides student loan?
There probably gonna be more. For now this is it...
Jacob Young Period 2
1. How hard is it to make new friends? How did you do it?
2. In what ways is college similar to high school? In ways is it different?
3. For those who play sports, how time consuming is the sport? And how tired are you at the end of the day?
4. How often do you miss home? Do you ever regret your decision?
MATTHEW OF CLAN CHAN, SECOND-BORN TO JULIA AND DAVID, HAILING FROM Period 3
1. For those without a half or full scholarship, how are you going to deal with fiscal matters? How do you plan on paying off your loans?
2. For those of you in a public school, do you regret not going to a private? Is it true that public schools have craptastic facilities (books, classrooms, dorms)?
3. For clean freaks like me, how do you cope with a dirty bedroom and restroom? How do you deal with slobs of roommates? State your college first before answer though.
Mo Zhou 1 period
Is it easy to switch major? Is it possible to go from a sociology major to a math or biology major?
Tristen Ye period 5
Do you live with international students in a dorm?
Is it hard to communicate with them?
1.How have your friendships from high school changed? Have you lost any?
2.Is it easy to manage your time in college?
3.Is it worth it to visit a college campus before deciding whether of not you want to go to it?
4.Is it better to self study than to listen to the lectures of professors?
Dominic De Guzman Period 2
By the end of college, do you think you'll still retain close relationships with your friends from high school?
Do you think the type of people you hang out with in high school differ immensely from the type of people you hang out with now? How do you think you have been or will be influenced by them?
Can you please describe the process in getting the classes you want in college?
How do you transfer to a different major? Is it a difficult process? Do all of your classes change as well?
Jessica Hsu Period 5
If you had a girlfriend in high school, what happened when the two of you went to college?
After meeting so many new people, would you say your confidence in yourself has increased or decreased?
How do you keep in touch with your high school friends?
Have you made the most of your newfound freedom?
William Sun Period 1
How hard is it to be financially independent?
How do you find the right people to hang out with?
How do we deal with our roommates?
Is it hard to choose where to go if you get admitted to a lot of schools?
And finally for a Pre-med Bio major, do you recomment UCLA or UCSD?
1) How do I choose between two or more highly ranked and competitive colleges? What factors should I consider?
2) How do I adjust and cope with cold weather since I have always lived in Southern California?
3) What is the best way to maintain high grades and time management?
4) What type of extracurricular activities are there (clubs, organizations, etc.) and how many is too much?
Dhruv Rastogi, Period 5
What is the one thing that nobody ever told you that you wish you knew?
Was there anything that you constantly heard about college that eventually ended up being false?
Alex Berger, Period 4
Christopher Lee, Period 3
If you go to a school with a reputation of being a commuter school, how do make the most of the opportunity? Are there any opportunities to have a college experience at commuter schools?
Being accepted to multiple schools, how did you choose "the one"?
If you could take a year off what would you have done?
How have highschool friendships changed?
Do you go home most of the weekends?
Pros and Cons of staying near home, specifically for Community College.
Difference between Community College and AHS.
Are you fulfilling major requirements freshman year?
College Stress vs Highschool Stress
Do professors let you write creatively or are you required to do things conventionally?
Is it hard to change majors?
What do you reccomend most to bring to dorms? Shouldn't buy?
How nice are the dorms?
Curfew in Dorms?
Is it hard to concentrate in dorms?
Frats & Sororities pros and cons.
How do you keep long distance relationships alive?
Freshman 15, is it true?
Balance between Job, School and social life
Spread Classes throughout the week or all on a few days?
Questions from myself and Jessica Bohon
Only users who are logged in may leave comments on this blog. Please follow the link below in order to log in.
Click here to log in